King Gizmo IV

King Gizmo IV
In Loving Memory, 12-31-93 - 2-3-10

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Shadow 12/10/09 - 9/13/12

It's taken me awhile to write this post. In September, I lost one of my three Chi's. I lost my little (maybe not so little, he was 17.5 pounds) boy Shadow. It happened suddenly & unexpectedly. Shadow lost his life to autoimmune disease. Something was causing his white blood cells to dramatically increase and kill off his red blood cells.

Since dogs can't tell us what's bothering them, we can't figure out what the root cause is that is causing the pets' body to turn on itself. Some pet parents are fortunate and able to determine the cause. Some pets handle the treatment well and live long lives. In most cases where a pet survives, the pet must be monitored continuously and take meds.

After two blood transfusions and lots of meds, Shadow was one of the unlucky ones that didn't survive. He was only 2.5 yrs old. It was a very cruel, unfair way to go OTRB, but he's not sick or suffering. It was extremely hard to deal with and has thrown me into depression.

We have since decided to get two more Chihuahuas. They could never replace Shadow, but they have helped me and the girls (Belle, his littermate and Diva). Last week, Belle turned 3, so would have Shadow.

R.I.P. Sweet boy, Happy Birthday, and Merry Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment